Sunday, December 30, 2012

Looking back on 2012...

So I haven't mentioned it here before but I have a (semi-defunct) craft blog that I kind of lost interest in this summer as I really got serious about my health and weight loss. Here is the post I wrote last January that I wanted to share...





MY 2012 WORD OF THE YEAR


This was the first year that I ever heard of people choosing a word of the year instead of a resolution. So I thought long and hard about what I wanted my word to be and now, 16 days into the new year I finally decided…

My word of 2012 is NOW. Yes, just plain now. I read blogs where other people chose fun things like sparks or bubbles. I wanted mine to be fun and creative too. So I kept thinking about it.

I tried to find something fancy. I started with the word determination (because that’s what I want to have more of this year) but I didn’t like the ring to that. So I put determination in the thesaurus and came up with the word spunk. I was like “Sweet…I would say that I am spunky!” Well, after googling spunk and coming up with many questionable images, I discovered that apparently in British slang spunk means semen…needless to say spunk was out.

So I thought and thought. And then I decided I needed something simple, something that describes what I want for myself. And it was now.

I should probably explain that I wasn’t so grounded as I am right now in my life. I’ve moved around a lot since college, always searching for the right thing. The right job, the right place to live, etc. My cousin Matt once told me that I am always looking toward the future, something better, so I never get to enjoy what I have now. It’s like that Ferris Bueller quote…


Ferris was totally right! And so was Matt!

I haven’t shared much of my personal life with you all, but the last 4 years have been very rough for me. One day I will share the details, but basically I went though several traumatic events in a short period of time. And, I really wasn’t sure at the time if I was strong enough to get through them. Looking back I don’t know how I ever did….but I’m so glad that I did. I feel so incredibly lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life that were there to support me. Without them I definitely couldn’t have done it!

Sometimes life just doesn’t turn out like you planned and you just feel lost and stuck…but the time is NOW to do do something about it! Well, at least my time is NOW!


So in my early 30′s I’ve had to start over from scratch. I’ve had to find a new direction and try to figure out for the first time as an adult who I am and what I want. In some ways, I have more than I knew I wanted…but in other ways, some things are definitely missing. NOW is the time to fill in those gaps.


NOW is the time to be healthier and fit and finally feel good about my body.

NOW is the time to learn how to love myself more and criticize myself less.

NOW is the time to finish what I start.

NOW is the time to do all the things I always wanted to do…especially if I am afraid.

NOW is the time to have more fun and laugh more often.

NOW is the time to stop talking and start doing.

Instead of being sad about what I don’t have, NOW is the time to figure out how to make it happen, while appreciating all the things that I do have.

It’s like one of my favorite quotes…




NOW is the time to live my life and not wait on the future anymore…whatever it may hold!


So hopefully in 2012 these three little letters will help me in my quest to grow and change and be more who I want to be. Good luck with all your goals in 2012.

_______________________________________________________________________

So that was me almost a year ago...how time flies! On my next post I will tell you my new word of the year and tell you how I did with my 2012 word.

Until later, happy running, 
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment