My last post was kind of negative, but I'm generally a positive person, so I bounced back pretty fast. I woke up the last two days in a better mood and had a good day at the gym yesterday. I'm ready to start the new year right!
Looking back, 2012 was a pretty good year for me! My best friend Jen threw me a surprise birthday party, I went on an awesome camping trip to Big Bend National Park with Bob and Amy, my friend Erica and I won a grant to go to Italy and Portugal for 3 weeks, I got into photography and took a picture a day for almost 8 months straight, I rocked as a presenter at two education conferences and a 4 hour professional development at my school, I opened my Etsy store, I started running again and committed to a healthier lifestyle, I completed three 5Ks and two 10Ks, and I lost 22 pounds! Whew!
Lisbon was my favorite place I went this summer! And since we won a grant the whole trip was free, which makes it even better!
The other day, I wrote about my word of the year - NOW. It took me until August to really get serious about getting healthy, but I'm glad that I finally did! This year I wanted to keep it simple again so I chose the word FORWARD as my theme for 2013.
I have a healthy momentum going, so I need to just keep moving FORWARD!
Forward with my dreams, forward with my goals, and forward with feeling more awesome everyday!
I'm not really sure that you can really see the difference in 15 pounds, but here I was in my first race of 2012 (August) and yesterday in the same outfit.
Of course in the race picture I look kind of weird because I was running toward the finish line...my neck looks huge! It took me 5 months to lose those 15 pounds! That was probably the most frustrating part, but I think I lost more inches and gained muscle in that time than I lost weight. I went down a size in jeans though and fit back into pants I haven't worn in 3 years! Thankfully I think my body has adjusted and I'm starting to lose more actual weight.
So what's on the agenda for 2013? Other than being active and healthy, who knows! Right now I don't have anything big or any trips planned...and I kind of like it that way. I'll just take the year as it comes!
Here are a few of my SMART goals for 2013: (SMART=Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Bound)
- Lose 80 pounds. That would get me back in the healthy BMI range. I know it is going to be tough, but I'm up for the challenge! Ideally, I'd love to get to my goal weight which is somewhere around 150-160, (between 84-94 pounds from now), but I'll settle for getting to a good BMI.
- Complete 12 races in 12 months! I've been doing one a month since August and I've loved every bit of it! I can't wait to repeat my races this year and see how I've improved!
- Run a 5K in 34 minutes and a 10K in 1:15.
- Complete the running bridge series in my area - Kemah Toughest 10K, Galveston Toughest 10K, and La Porte Half Marathon. This year I did the Kemah race and did better than I anticipated...4 passes over that bridge was tough! I was signed up for Galveston last year but I had a horrible sinus infection so I had to skip it.
- Do at least one adventure-type race. I'm an outdoor girl and don't mind getting dirty! I did the Beach Dash this year and it was super fun!
- Gain some upper body strength. I'd like to be able to do 20 real push ups and maybe even a few pull-ups!
- Start practicing yoga consistently, at least one time a week.
- Join one of the running clubs in my area.
- Take a pole fitness class. I'm pretty sure I can rope some of the girls into that one.
- Go skydiving!
There you go...my goals for the year! Anyone else have any super fun goals?
Until later, happy living!