Thursday, January 3, 2013

Welcome 2013...Forward We Go!

I can't believe it's 2013...it feels like 2012 just flew by!





My last post was kind of negative, but I'm generally a positive person, so I bounced back pretty fast. I woke up the last two days in a better mood and had a good day at the gym yesterday. I'm ready to start the new year right!

Looking back, 2012 was a pretty good year for me! My best friend Jen threw me a surprise birthday party, I went on an awesome camping trip to Big Bend National Park with Bob and Amy, my friend Erica and I won a grant to go to Italy and Portugal for 3 weeks, I got into photography and took a picture a day for almost 8 months straight, I rocked as a presenter at two education conferences and a 4 hour professional development at my school, I opened my Etsy store, I started running again and committed to a healthier lifestyle, I completed three 5Ks and two 10Ks, and I lost 22 pounds! Whew!

Lisbon was my favorite place I went this summer! And since we won a grant the whole trip was free, which makes it even better!




The other day, I wrote about my word of the year - NOW. It took me until August to really get serious about getting healthy, but I'm glad that I finally did! This year I wanted to keep it simple again so I chose the word FORWARD as my theme for 2013.

I have a healthy momentum going, so I need to just keep moving FORWARD!





Forward with my dreams, forward with my goals, and forward with feeling more awesome everyday!






Source: tumblr.com via Kristen on Pinterest


I'm not really sure that you can really see the difference in 15 pounds, but here I was in my first race of 2012 (August) and yesterday in the same outfit.




Of course in the race picture I look kind of weird because I was running toward the finish line...my neck looks huge! It took me 5 months to lose those 15 pounds! That was probably the most frustrating part, but I think I lost more inches and gained muscle in that time than I lost weight. I went down a size in jeans though and fit back into pants I haven't worn in 3 years! Thankfully I think my body has adjusted and I'm starting to lose more actual weight.

So what's on the agenda for 2013? Other than being active and healthy, who knows! Right now I don't have anything big or any trips planned...and I kind of like it that way. I'll just take the year as it comes!

Here are a few of my SMART goals for 2013: (SMART=Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Time-Bound) 
  • Lose 80 pounds. That would get me back in the healthy BMI range. I know it is going to be tough, but I'm up for the challenge! Ideally, I'd love to get to my goal weight which is somewhere around 150-160, (between 84-94 pounds from now), but I'll settle for getting to a good BMI.
  • Complete 12 races in 12 months! I've been doing one a month since August and I've loved every bit of it! I can't wait to repeat my races this year and see how I've improved!
  • Run a 5K in 34 minutes and a 10K in 1:15.
  • Complete the running bridge series in my area - Kemah Toughest 10K, Galveston Toughest 10K, and La Porte Half Marathon. This year I did the Kemah race and did better than I anticipated...4 passes over that bridge was tough! I was signed up for Galveston last year but I had a horrible sinus infection so I had to skip it. 
  • Do at least one adventure-type race. I'm an outdoor girl and don't mind getting dirty! I did the Beach Dash this year and it was super fun!
  • Gain some upper body strength. I'd like to be able to do 20 real push ups and maybe even a few pull-ups!
  • Start practicing yoga consistently, at least one time a week.
  • Join one of the running clubs in my area.
  • Take a pole fitness class. I'm pretty sure I can rope some of the girls into that one.
  • Go skydiving!




There you go...my goals for the year! Anyone else have any super fun goals?


Until later, happy living!
Jamie

1 comment:

  1. Wow, those are some smart goals. I like the 12 races in 12 months. And seriously, you can totally see a difference in your body! Not only is 15 pounds a good amount of weight but I agree, you have gained more muscle which means you've lost MORE than 15 pounds of fat. Great picture, you are on such a roll, I love it!

    ReplyDelete