Sunday, January 6, 2013

Healthy Crock Pot Hawaiian Pork

I love my Crock Pot but I don't utilize it as much as I should, so I'm going to try to use it more and share some easy and healthy recipes here. I have a pretty big size pot and the feature I love most is the programmable timer so I can set it and forget it! When it is done it turns to warm! I'm afraid with the manual timers I will burn the house down if I leave it too long! LOL...

Anyway, Friday when I went to HEB they had some lean looking pork tenderloins on sale and I was really excited...$5 for a 1.75lb pork loin...sweet!

When I cook, I like to use simple and fresh ingredients. I also don't like recipes that are crazy complex with a ton of things in them. I believe healthy cooking should be easy, otherwise we won't do it! I also try to do as much low sodium, low sugar, low preservative cooking when I can.




I named this Hawaiian Pork because it of the pineapple and because it has a little bit of a pacific Asian flair, despite using BBQ instead of soy sauce. The BBQ sauce is meant to add flavor and shouldn't drown the pork and is the only added sodium and sugar in this dish.

Healthy Crock Pot Hawaiian Pork

  • 1.5-2lb pork tenderloin
  • 1/2 c. honey flavored BBQ sauce
    • You can sub a low carb BBQ sauce or a homemade sauce too!
  • 1 whole fresh pineapple cut up
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • A few dashes of crushed red pepper
And that's all you need!

Using a large crockpot, put the pork in first, then the other solid ingredients, then crushed red pepper, and then spread out the BBQ sauce on top. Cook on low for 5 hours, or around 2-3 hours on high. If you are around while it is cooking, rotate the pork loin and pineapple through the cooking process. When the pork shreds easily with a fork, pull it apart and mix everything up so the juices can soak into the meat. Serve over brown rice or even on tortillas. Enjoy!

If you are on Weight Watchers, lean pork tenderloin is only 1 PointPlus per serving! To count my PP, I weigh the meat and add a point for any sauce (just for good measure), then I scoop out the pineapple and add it to the dish. 

Guess what I'm eating for lunch tomorrow? That's right, leftovers!


Until later, happy healthy eating!
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment