Monday, August 6, 2012

10K Training progress...weeks 1&2

I told you in my last post about setting my goal to do a 10K on October 20th. Well, I'm glad to say that the first two weeks of training went really well!

I started jogging my sophomore year in college with my roommates and it actually helped me lose weight. I don't want to really call it running because I just kind of did it because they were doing it...I never really tried to improve, and I never really considered myself a runner and certainly not an athlete. My longest distances were about 2.5, maybe 3 miles and I don't think I ever ran faster than 4.2-4.5mph.

The summer I really started jogging was really the most I ever liked it. I spent that summer of 1999 with my dad in Hawaii who lived on the island of Maui, right by this old road through a sugarcane field. I would wake up in the morning and go walking down the road...which round trip from dad's door, was about 2.5 miles. One day I started jogging a little...the next day, a little more...the next day, a little more. In no time, I was jogging the entire route. It was so nice and peaceful in the morning and I could just listen to my music and think.

In a couple of years though, I had a knee injury and I stopped jogging. After that, I tried a little here and there but never really got back to my former distances.

So imagine my surprise on my very first week of running that I could not only run a minute straight (I was only toying with 30 second intervals this spring...thanks Italy for making me walk!) and that on the third day I managed TWO 5 minute straight runs! I was so excited! That was a big accomplishment for me! I have been following  THIS PLAN loosely but in these two weeks I am up to running 2 minutes consistently at about 4.4mph, with 2 minute walking intervals in between. Yay for progress!





Until later, happy running!
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment